Success in mathematics depends on the ability to think creatively. Speaking & listening activities, geared around the use of academic vocabulary and language for thinking, can help children use language to process their mathematical ideas.
Talking Maths is a 10-week intervention programme, based on the Talking Partners programme, targeting speaking & listening skills in the context of mathematical language for children in Y1 - Y7. The programme typically benefits pupils who show mathematical competence but who need to develop their use and understanding of mathematical language. It is particularly effective for learners in the intermediate phase of learning EAL who need help to process difficult word problems and to articulate their ideas.
This session will give you opportunities to:
- consider the challenges of mathematical language;
- become familiar with the structure of the Talking Maths programme;
- try out the range of activities within the programme; and
- be equipped with the tools and resources to run the Talking Maths programme in your school.
By the end of this session, you will:
- understand the importance of speaking and listening in enabling learners to access the mathematics curriculum and achieve their full potential; and
- be able to run the Talking Maths programme in your school.
Please note that the booking fee includes:
Terms and Conditions (Please see full details uploaded on course page) 3 working days’ notice of cancellations is required prior to the scheduled date of a course. Turning up at a course without prior booking will incur the full course fee plus a £25 admin charge per delegate Non-attendance at courses displayed with no stated price will incur an admin charge of £25
- attendance and lunches for two delegates (e.g. 1 programme co-ordinator and 1 TA)
- one set of the materials required to run the programme
Maths subject leaders EAL TAs EAL co-ordinators