This session will provide opportunities to:
- consider the Practical, Pictorial and Abstract approach to mathematics.
- explore the use of manipulatives to support mathematical learning and teaching
- use mathematical tasks to raise standards
This course will provide an opportunity to consider the Practical, Pictorial, Abstract/Concrete Pictorial, Abstract approach to the teaching and learning of mathematics and define the meaning of each aspect of this approach. We will use a variety of tasks designed to challenge and engage learners. There will be time to discuss how the use of manipulatives can support the development of mathematical reasoning. We will work, collaboratively, to develop examples of this approach for use in the classroom.
You will be able to:
- gain an insight into Practical, Pictorial and Abstract approach to teaching and learning
- include the use of manipulatives in maths planning
- evaluate the impact of a Practical Pictorial and Abstract approach
Subject Leaders, Teachers