This session will give you the opportunity to practice and learn basic Makaton Signs and consider how they can be used in settings, particularly with children who have communication needs. There will be an exploration of how Makaton can support all children including those with speech and language delay and/or additional language. The session is very interactive and will include signing practice, activities and advice on how to incorporate Makaton into the routine of the setting generally as well as for specific children.
Makaton is a language programme for children with communication needs. Using signs as well as speech has been shown to encourage the development of communication and language skills. Makaton can help children understand what is being said to them and give them a tool to communicate with in addition to speech, which in turn can ease frustration.
The training will help:
- To explain why Makaton gestures can help children with communication needs
- To feel confident in using Makaton signs in Early Years settings
- To identify and use the signs that could be most useful to help young children communicate
- To identify which signs to prioritise for children with communication needs
- To look at how these signs can be introduced within their own setting
When booking the course, please checkout from your basket as soon as possible, failure to checkout the booking may result in the delegate being removed from the course.
This course is suitable for Early Years Settings.